Tuesday 24 February 2009

Yogiga

Went to an afternoon gig in the Yogiga art gallery. It was a warehouse space, no natural light, a dizzying smell of gas. A bookshelf of mouthwateringly obscure CDs for sale. Loved it.

A Korean duo came on, sampling struck metallic pots, the notes stretched out in infinite waves, reverbed. At a table one performer sat spraying foam from a canister by a mic, covering the slab on the desk til the can was done.

No, it was momentous, really majestic and timeless. I swear.

I bought a 2002 CD compilation of Korean artists on the Cavare label. It's a decent selection of lo-fi sounds, standouts including Oh! Brothers, with their two cracking little rock & roll numbers Thank You, Girl plus 陽気なツイスト (or the 'Wah Wah Wah song' as I call it). Ladyfish are another good band, 日曜日 午後4時 being of a swinging 60s Parisian style much like Merry-Go-Round , who're behind the Franco-organ waltz of さいころ. I also enjoyed My Low Array, whose Sunglass Fume features some Beckesque swamp guitar warpings (the Mellow Gold Beck).

I think it's time this blog turned more cultural.

Oh! Brothers >

No comments:

Post a Comment