Monday 16 February 2009

Your high nose bridge

Soju. Made me stumble out of a taxi home, could barely keep in a straight line. It was my first time, voice coarse out of karaoke. I'd drunk it straight, a drink that tastes weaker then vodka but breaks you down with a deadlier makeup.

The next morning I went to church still drunk, wide awake and pristine mentally. I don't know why I go there to be honest. It was a comfort zone in my 3rd week out here, introduced me to fellow foreigners. But I'm such a snake in the grass - I don't believe. But... I want to. And I respect the warm kinship of belief, and I respect how it brings out the good in most.

A nice guy, American, he took me hiking that day. Sure I say. First time for everything. I'm in fucking Korea, why not? So we go to a baby mountain, I take pictures of a lovely Buddhist temple, the statue offerings outside. And then we get to the hiking. Gorgeous landscape.

Five minutes in, I'm panting, I'm spinning. My eyes cannot focus on anything. I'm seconds away from fainting. I'm ready to up chuck. Dumb fuck! I'm still drunk! I hadn't had lunch, I'd slept less than 5 hours, and I think I can take on a mountain? I had to sit down to avoid an embarrassing collapse. My colleague was not impressed. We made our way back down to his scooter. It didn't start up so we just rolled downhill with no power in the spring sun. Our helmets made me think of Daft Punk.

#

Think it was the same night when I went to my favourite PC Bang.

'OH WOW WELCOME!' a young woman shouts when I walk in, open arms. She works at the place but it's the first time I've seen her. Her colleagues blush around her.

'Hi, thank you...' Bemused, also blushing.

She grabs a card and offers to seat me, shouting in a great accent let down by a slightly off-key syntax.

'WHERE ARE YOU FROM? DONT YOU THINK I AM SO CUTE, SO PRETTY?'

She is gorgeous and she knows it, framing her face and bowing, upturned eyes.

'Neigh' I say, Korean yes.

'DO YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?'

Ooh, here we go I think!

'No'. English this time. No time for messing. 'Do you have a boyfriend?' (Twat).

'YESSS' she squawks faux-sad. 'I'M SORRYYY'.

Fair enough. Time for some music.



You're falling for me / Your high nose bridge / How is my body?

4 comments:

  1. DON'T YOU THINK MY TITTIES SO BIG! DON'T YOU WISH YOUR GIRLFRIEND WAS HOT LIKE ME! DON'T MY CLAMCHOWDER SMELL CLEAN AND WASHED!

    ReplyDelete