Wednesday 7 January 2009

Uncle Tomato

i enjoy going to Seoul, Bojeon, Jukjeon, the Hyundai car factory etc. but as for my neighbourhood, my gu, well it was hard to adjust to at nighttime, walking around, alien, with only my bare apartment to end the evening in, the sole tenant in the whole building (!) i was cold inside and out after a day of fun teaching. but then i found Uncle Tomato, peering out the window as the kids played Uno behind me, their curriculum finished as of Christmas. the name made me smile, thinking of the Stereolab album Emperor Tomato Ketchup, big bulbous tomatoes reddening its banners, a diner on the third floor on the street opposite my school. surely they don't serve pasta, i thought.

and then, the next night, or maybe the same, i was looking for a meal around the corner from my place. so why not? and the moment i walked in, my soul was saved.

pink purply doors, glittery walls, the place is like Santa's grotto, with little kitsch raindeer behind glass, lined up with bottles of rare olive oil and peppers preserved, little fat chef toys, lovely cushions to sit back on - the place is just warm. and the menu - pastas, pilaf, risotto. and the wonderful waitresses, and the owner with her chic Korean craze glasses. i've been three times and i even have a stamp card so i get freebies. i've never been a restaurant regular before but this could be my Monk's cafe, making me George Costanza.

So I proudly present Uncle Tomato. Photos tomorrow, along with snaps of my obscure little hood

3 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with Primavera (italian restaurant across from my place). I have been there so many times, tonight I was shocked when I saw a NEW waitress. Hella cute too. But she replaced the other hella cute girl (the one, who I am sure, was starting to dig my foreign affairs, if you catch my drift). Anyways, great entry, made me laugh - can tell you are a definite writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, i learned my craft from Rok Paper Scissors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Glee!! How's everything.. Have you met anymore foreigners? I see them all the time. Well I hope you're enjoying Korea..

    :)

    ReplyDelete