Tuesday 6 January 2009

the horror

am i the only alien in my neighbourhood? no, i saw an other today, much older guy outside a pizza place who barely registered my presence. vice versa - the guy wasn't the hot Australian/Canadian/young cute Brit I was hoping would lurk in my district of Mabuk-Dong. as such my heart did not flutter as i thought it would after 9 days of walking around as the odd one out by far.

when i arrived i was taken to a cold raw fish place. my apartment was colder. i went to bed on a weird stomach, woke to walk to some French named place, bought a sweet pizza and loaf. this disturbed sleeping pattern still dogs me to this moment, so excuse the er doldrum beat of this entry.

why did i come here? just to say i could do it. i thought i could do it, but i've had my moments of weakness. i am only human, and really to perk me up I need a hot Australian/Canadian/young cute Brit to be teaching at my school or at least be seen from afar on a semi regular basis.

no, im giving the wrong attitude here. this is the best job i've had since graduation, where back in the UK i was trapped in a Kafkian loop of being either over-qualified or under-qualified. i wanted to get out there then, get some control back instead of waiting around for a suit to give me some reasonable enough pension job which'd dampen my dreams til middle age.

my enthusiasm for application forms waned from the outset of Uni and inside I was always excited by doing this, to teach kids and live somewhere completely different for a year, as far away as possible from the no-man land of my hometown.

i had the best New Year's ever here. i mean, plus points for being in Korea in the first place, and then to be gathered up in a tribal street dance/political protest with a couple of cool chaps before heading out into the banging club scene of Hyundai. well, in that weather and my multi-layered getup i was hardly positioned for a banging night out. some American loudmouth said as such as we went up the lift to an igloo cut-out club on the tip of cutting edge - "TAKE YOUR FUCKING SHOES OFF MAN!!!" he screamed. Oh piss off, cracked up twat.

Inside older seasoned teachers danced to some remix of the new Coldplay, all looking as cool as the club. I felt this was New York, an Andy Warhol club with it chic warm decor, the igloo caverns clubbers sat in, white light, drapes, tunnel entrance. i was there with thermal socks and no drink in hand, but still buzzing from the lovely chaos of earlier.

Leaving the club we saw a running gag of Ho Bars around the zone, Ho Bar to Ho Bar IV, barely apart from one another. From my sneak peak inside Ho Bar 3, I was dashed by a severe shortage of hos in the building.

the evening left us stranded in Burger King, waiting for the 5am train. when i got home at 7, i slept straight through to 9 that New Year evening, a whole day of my life lost to sleep, just lost.

i should sleep now, though there's a lot more to write. i really need a laptop quick

3 comments:

  1. "the guy wasn't the hot Australian/Canadian/young cute Brit I was hoping would lurk in my district of Mabuk-Dong."

    apparently, you don't think highly of Americans you stupid limey.

    and you forgot about the guitar girls in Hongdae (Hyundai is a car company).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say Hyundai was a car manufacturer. If you are up for it Saturday, I could easily be swayed to go to Yongsan and help you get a computer - downside, you might have to wait a day or two until they put it into English

    ReplyDelete
  3. if the guitar girls lived in Mabuk-dong, i'd be chuffed. hehe, when i was walking back from the PC Bang I wondered why I specifically put Canadian and not American, but now I see it was maybe a subconscious prediction as my school is hiring a - quote - "beautiful and sexy" girl from Canada. in which case, i'll have to remove this comment, if not the whole blog, haha.

    your expertise on Saturday would be much appreciated Brandon, cheers! and then maybe you can help me buy a car from Hongdae.

    ReplyDelete