Thursday 9 April 2009

33

I always worry about the speedy delivery boys on their scooters, chunky boxes attached to the back. One nearly ran me over...last month, I think.

Today I was on the 33 bus, standing trying to keep balance. At one stop gasps rung out - a passenger was getting off when a kid hit him between the bus and the pavement.

I was worried about the elderly passenger on the floor but it was actually the kid who was in more pain. He lolled with a helmet on (thank god), scooter on its side as the older man got up and brushed his trousers off, earlier crumpled, horrible sight.

Eventually the young man got to his feet, no blood. Bus moved on.

Even the more older delivery guys drive too fast thinking about it, the ones in my sleepy district, buzzing around outside my apartment. This is typical of Korea's 'get it done NOW' attitude, which extends to the buses going through red lights, dominating all other vehicles with the drivers shouting out the window.

That same night on a different 33 I saw the bald driver with glasses who always recognises me after we first met 2 months ago in the same area, who always states the place name where I live to me as I scan my card. I always nod back laughing, saying thank you in Korean.

I have been here 3 months.

1 comment: